10 Tips for Writing a Good Essay
1. Relax - If you stress you won’t be able to think or organize your thoughts
2. Brainstorm – Write all your ideas on a piece of paper, just jot everything down quickly.
3. Be Original – Think outside the box and don’t go for the obvious story line
4. Plan – pick what idea you want to go with and write out the general plan. Give it a distinctive Beginning Middle and End!
5. Write about what you know – Write about something you’ve experienced or know about, you won’t write a good essay about something you don’t understand.
6. Characters – Only have one or two characters so that you don’t confuse the reader.
7. Story line – You get more marks for how your essay is written then what it is written about so don’t spend your time on extravagant or action packed story lines, focus on your language and keep it simple.
8. First and Last Lines – these are the most important lines in the essay and should be exciting, interesting and draw the reader in.
9. Use descriptive language – Use all your vocabulary, don’t say something was “small” say it was “tiny” or “microscopic” instead.
10. Punctuation and Spelling - Don’t lose marks over silly mistakes, always, always, always read over your work
NEVER, EVER WRITE THE WORDS “ AND THEN I WOKE UP” AT THE END OF YOUR ESSAY.